News & Events
Featured Custom Home
FREE Newsletter Signup
Green Building, Remodeling & Renovation
How smart is your house? All houses are not designed or built the same. What happens behind the walls, below the floors and in the attic is every bit as important as the visible details on which we all tend to focus.
Our green, HouseSmart philosophy is deeply rooted in Building Science principles. What it means to you is that we will build the highest performing home possible using the latest design trends and technologies.
Building Science is the study of the interaction between a home's construction methods, its occupants and the environment in which the home is built. Did you know that coastal South Carolina is one of the most challenging regions in the country in which to build? In addition to hurricane and seismic considerations, we live in a very hot and humid climate. In such climates, it is critical for a home to keep heat and humidity out and to have the capacity to dry when it gets wet. Here's how Structures combats these problems:
- Closed, conditioned crawl spaces keep out humidity, condensation, mildew and mold. They also provide an environment for smaller, more energy efficient air conditioning systems. The benefits to you are lower monthly energy bills, improved air quality and more durable, mold free structural framing.
- Spray foam insulated, unvented rooflines provide a better air seal and insulation system in our hot/humid climate than an attic that is vented and traditionally insulated in the floor. Our attics are cooler and dryer, again providing a friendlier environment for smaller, more energy efficient air conditioning systems. The benefit to you is lower monthly energy bills and more usable storage space.
- A Drainage Plane with integrated flashings behind your siding is absolutely critical to allowing your house to survive the normal wet and dry cycles that a home in a hot/humid tropical climate goes through. Unfortunately, it is rarely installed nor specified. The benefit to you is a more durable home with structural framing and wall sheathing that doesn't rot.
Structures homes are built on Building Science principles, which means you can count on:
- Significant Energy Savings
- Enhanced Water Conservation
- Lower Maintenance/Improved Durability
- High Indoor Air Quality
- Greater Indoor Comfort